If you want to create a serious business site on WordPress or start your own blog, you can immediately look for the help of a WordPress freelancer or a WordPress Development agency. You can also use the free WordPress themes and start creating your own website or blog by yourself. However, it may happen that a free template will require modifications to meet all your needs. Then you will need the help of a professional.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. It means that we get a commission when you click a link and purchase. Thanks to this, we can share free themes and free content. It doesn’t cost you anything.
Whether you are hiring a freelancer or an agency, you should always focus on finding the best service that will help you complete your basic requirements.
Here, we will be sharing all the important details that will help you choose the best WordPress freelancer or a WordPress development agency for your project.
Know your requirements first
Before you go on to make a final decision of hiring a WordPress expert, you must always focus on your basic requirements. If you have not designed your WordPress site, then you will have to start from scratch. If you are not using any WordPress theme and you are thinking of creating a new design, then you will have to spend good resources on your website.
The complete project will go through multiple phases if you are developing it from scratch. Before you go on to get estimates, make sure that you are listing down all of your basic requirements of the project. Once you have listed all of your basic requirements, you will be able to get estimates from the agencies and the freelancers to get started with your website.
Considering all the important factors
The first thing that you will have to do is to consider all the important factors that will play an important role when you are hiring a WordPress development agency. Make sure that you are focusing on the factors that will allow you to find an experienced and highly qualified WordPress expert out there.
Make sure that you are checking the expertise of the freelancer or an agency that you are about to hire. If you are looking to create a website on WordPress the developers should have excellent control over the tools and they should be able to provide you the desired outcome. They should have excellent expertise in WordPress theme or plugin development.
Moreover, they should be able to provide you excellent customization services. Whether you are using a WordPress theme or building a site from scratch, there should be room for customization so you can easily make things better for your online business.
Look at the past experiences
You may also like
One of the most important factors that you will have to consider is their past experiences. Make sure that you are asking the agency to provide you some references so you can get in touch with their previous clients.
If you are hiring a WordPress freelancer, then you should check out the previous reviews of the clients. It will give you a clear idea of how you can hire a highly qualified and reliable freelancer for your new website.
By checking out the past experiences, you will be able to choose a reliable WordPress developer for the job.
Your main concern should be scalability. Whenever you are hiring a professional WordPress development agency or a freelancer, you should look for the one that will provide you excellent customization service as well.
There should be room to expand your online website with new and exciting features. It is one of the most important things that you will have to consider before hiring a WordPress developer. If you are hiring a new developer for every single task, then it will create a mess.
Make sure that you are hiring an agency or a freelancer that will provide you complete service and high scalability.
Asking important questions
There are various important questions that you will have to ask before hiring a WordPress development agency or a freelancer.
You may also like
You will have to test the knowledge of the developer first so you can get a clear idea of how you can hire the right person for the job. Ask about the basic WordPress queries and make sure that you are hiring someone who can build a website from scratch.
Ask questions about the WordPress plugins, front-end, JS, CSS and all the important details that will help you choose the right WordPress developer for the task.
Check out freelancing platforms
The next thing that you are going to do is to check out various freelancing platforms out there. If you are searching for the best WordPress freelancer out there, then you will have to explore various freelancing platforms including Upwork, Codeable.io, Fiverr, Freelancer and much more. You will be able to find highly qualified and experienced freelancers on all these platforms.
Make sure that you are also checking the expertise before hiring the right one for the job. Moreover, you will be able to hire highly rated individuals on these platforms that will meet your requirements.
Get help from Codeable.io
Please note that when you use Codeable services with our Codeable affiliate link, they compensate us, which helps us make our blog & themes free of charge to you. Know that we also only recommend products we personally stand behind.
Codeable is one of the best platforms where you can find handpicked WordPress developers who can meet your requirements. They have highly qualified WordPress developers and you can easily find the right fit for the job.
Whether you are a WordPress agency and searching for the best WordPress freelancer, or you are searching for someone who can tweak your existing site, you will be able to find the perfect professional out there.
One of the great things about this platform is that it is a dedicated WordPress community where you can hire the best WordPress developer or designer for your project. Moreover, it is risk-free and you will be able to get a money-back guarantee as well. All you have to do is to explain your WordPress site details and hire the right person for the job.
You can check out the ratings of the freelancer that you are about to hire and you will be able to find the best WordPress developer for your project.
Pros and Cons Of Hiring a WordPress Freelancer or a Development Agency
Hiring a freelancer or development agency depends entirely on your requirement and how much you are willing to spend. Your project requirement will decide your necessity. I will try to make things clear for you by talking about the pros and cons of both of them in detail.
Pros of Hiring a WordPress Freelancer
- So, if you are new in business and want a website but don’t have a lot of budget. In that case, hiring a WordPress freelancer is a good option because they are cheap and affordable. In the start, you have to do cost-cutting and manage overhead expenses, so if you are tight on the budget, then go for a WordPress freelancer.
- Another benefit of hiring a freelancer is that they don’t work according to the clock; they are quite flexible and would go an extra hour to meet the deadline. They don’t follow traditional working hours.
- You can hire them for a very short term. If you need only a little bit of work done, then you can have them and get your job done by paying them their hourly rate, and other than that, you can find a good freelancer online very easily.
Cons of hiring a WordPress Freelancer
- Sometimes working with a freelancer becomes a headache because if you fail to hire a good one, then you will be the one who will have to guide him on every step. You will have to micromanage things, which could prove a pain. You hired him to help you out but, it will be the other way around.
- Websites are not built for just a day; they are made to stay forever. If you got your website developed by a freelancer, but after sometime, some maintenance is required, then finding the same freelancer is just challenging as finding a good one because freelancers have limited resources. They are almost occupied every day with new projects. They work on a project-to-project basis. So, you will have to hire another freelancer, and since he hasn’t worked on the project from the start, it will take him some time to understand the code and find the issue. So it might be a bit time and money-consuming.
- Another problem with hiring a freelancer is that you don’t have any legal contract with them. If they get any bigger project, they might ditch your project mid-way, and you can do nothing about that. You will be at square one once again. Everything will be needed to start afresh.
- Freelancers sometimes take on multiple projects to meet their financial needs. They think they will complete each project on time, but working on many projects and extra hauling hours makes them exhausted. They get completely burned out and fail to deliver the project on the deadline.
- When you hire a WordPress Freelancer you are wholly dependent on one single person. In such a scenario, the success or progress of the undertaking is closely tied to the actions and contributions of that specific person. This can create vulnerabilities, as any disruption to that individual’s availability, such as illness, unexpected absence, or competing commitments, may significantly impact the overall progress or outcome of the project.
Pros of hiring a WordPress Development Agency.
- They have a good number of WordPress developers under their belt. So, if your project is big and you want a custom website, you must consider hiring them because they have great skills in building customized websites. Your project will be dedicated to specific developers and will be supervised by the project manager; you don’t have to call and ask now and then about the progress of your project. You will be notified about the development on time to time basis.
- If some problem occurs with your website, you can easily find the same development agency and get your job done. They have good resources and have been on the project earlier. They fully understand the code, so finding the error becomes easy for them, and they can quickly resolve it.
- The major advantage of working with a WordPress development agency is signing a legal contract, so they are bound to complete the project. They can’t leave it until they finish it because if they do so, you have the right to take legal action against them. They don’t want to get into any legal tussle because it will damage their reputation and harm them financially. It gives you a sense of security.
- They have a good number of developers, so even if something happens to your dedicated developer, they provide you with another developer, ensuring that your project gets delivered on time.
Cons of hiring a WordPress Development agency
- They are expensive when compared to freelancers. But I want to clarify one thing, expensive doesn’t always mean that it’s not cost-efficient. But suppose you don’t have the budget. In that case, hiring a development agency is surely not a good option because while starting up a new venture saving an extra buck is prudent.
- They have almost strict working hours. They work according to their time, so if you run into a problem at some odd hour of the day, you can’t expect them to work for you. You will have to wait for their working hours. There can be exceptions, but mostly this is the case.
- You can’t hire them for a small job; they work on big projects. They work on long-term projects. Long-term projects are their primary source of income, and working on smaller projects won’t give them the financial stability to have so many developers under the same roof.
- Further Agencies, with their organizational structure and overhead costs, may pass on higher expenses to clients. This cost dynamic could be a deterrent for those seeking a more budget-friendly solution. It will add an additional overhead cost.
Mitigating Challenges and Maximizing Benefits
1. Thorough Research and Evaluation
a. Scrutinizing Portfolios
Before selecting a freelancer or agency, conduct thorough research and evaluations. Scrutinize portfolios, client testimonials, and past projects to ensure alignment with your project requirements.
b. Vetting Processes for Reliability
Implement robust vetting processes to assess the reliability and competence of freelancers or agencies. This ensures that you choose a partner capable of meeting your specific needs.
2. Detailed Project Planning
a. Collaborative Planning Sessions
Work closely with your chosen freelancer or agency during the initial planning stages. Collaborative planning sessions enhance understanding, set clear expectations, and establish realistic milestones and timelines.
b. Defining Project Scope Clearly
Clearly define the scope of your project, including deliverables, timelines, and potential challenges. A well-defined project scope minimizes misunderstandings and sets the stage for successful collaboration.
3. Effective Communication Channels
a. Proactive Communication Protocols
Establish effective communication channels with your chosen partner, emphasizing the importance of regular updates. Proactive communication protocols foster a collaborative environment and ensure that all stakeholders are well-informed.
b. Utilizing Project Management Tools
Leverage project management tools and platforms to facilitate communication and collaboration. These tools provide transparency and real-time updates, enhancing overall project visibility.
4. Transparent Cost Structures
a. Clarity in Financial Agreements
Seek transparency in cost structures and ensure that all fees and charges are clearly outlined. This prevents unexpected financial surprises and allows for better budget management.
b. Negotiating Payment Terms
Negotiate payment terms that align with project milestones. This ensures a fair and transparent financial arrangement that motivates both freelancers and agencies to meet agreed-upon deadlines.
5. Defined Project Manager Role
a. Clear Responsibilities for Project Managers
In agencies, clearly define the role of the project manager. This individual serves as the primary point of contact, ensuring streamlined communication and effective project coordination.
b. Client Collaboration with Freelancers
For freelancers, establish a collaborative framework where the client actively participates in project management. Clearly defined roles and responsibilities contribute to smoother project progression.
6. Flexibility Negotiations
a. Negotiating Flexibility Terms
While freelancers may offer inherent flexibility, negotiate terms for urgent matters or time-sensitive issues. For agencies adhering to strict working hours, establish protocols for addressing immediate concerns outside regular business hours.
b. Balancing Flexibility with Responsiveness
Striking the right balance between flexibility and responsiveness is crucial. Flexibility terms should not compromise the timely resolution of urgent matters, ensuring a harmonious client-freelancer or client-agency relationship.
Some Key Stats about WordPress Freelancer and WordPress Development Agency
Stats about hiring a WordPress freelancer:
- The average hourly rate for a WordPress freelancer is $50.
- The median hourly rate for a WordPress freelancer is $30.
- The most common hourly rate for a WordPress freelancer is between $20 and $40.
- The most common project fee for a WordPress freelancer is between $1,000 and $5,000.
- The most common project duration for a WordPress freelancer is between 1 and 4 weeks.
Stats about hiring a WordPress development agency:
- The average hourly rate for a WordPress development agency is $100.
- The median hourly rate for a WordPress development agency is $75.
- The most common hourly rate for a WordPress development agency is between $50 and $150.
- The most common project fee for a WordPress development agency is between $5,000 and $20,000.
- The most common project duration for a WordPress development agency is between 4 and 12 weeks.
Here is a table summarizing the key stats
|WordPress Development Agency
|Average hourly rate
|Median hourly rate
|Most common hourly rate
|Most common project fee
|Most common project duration
These stats are based on a variety of sources, including Upwork, Freelancer, and Clutch.
Here are some additional things to consider when deciding whether to hire a WordPress freelancer or a WordPress development agency
- Your budget: WordPress freelancers can be more affordable than WordPress development agencies, but they may not have the same level of experience or expertise.
- Your project size: If you have a small or simple project, a WordPress freelancer may be a good option. If you have a large or complex project, a WordPress development agency may be a better choice.
- Your timeline: WordPress freelancers can typically start working on your project sooner than WordPress development agencies.
- Your level of technical expertise: If you are not comfortable with technical matters, a WordPress development agency may be a better choice.
Conclusion: Informed Decision-Making for Digital Success
In the realm of WordPress development, the choice between hiring a freelancer and engaging an agency is a strategic decision that necessitates careful consideration. Each option comes with its unique set of advantages and challenges, and the path to digital success lies in aligning these with the specific needs of your project or business.
a. A Tailored Approach to Your Needs:
For projects requiring a personalized touch, flexibility, and cost-effectiveness, a WordPress freelancer may be the ideal choice. The ability to work closely with a dedicated individual and benefit from their specialized skills can contribute significantly to project success.
b. Comprehensive Solutions for Complex Projects:
On the other hand, for larger projects with multifaceted requirements and a need for ongoing support, a WordPress development agency provides a comprehensive solution. The diverse skill sets within agencies, coupled with structured project management, offer a robust foundation for tackling complex endeavours.
c. A Strategic Partnership for Digital Triumph:
Ultimately, whether you choose a freelancer or an agency, the key lies in forging a strategic partnership. A partnership rooted in clear communication, transparent collaboration, and a shared commitment to project success paves the way for digital triumph.
As you navigate the terrain of WordPress development, armed with insights into the pros and cons of hiring a freelancer or agency, you are empowered to make an informed decision. By understanding the intricacies of each option and implementing strategies to mitigate potential challenges, you can embark on a journey towards digital excellence, bringing your vision to life in the online realm.